Coronary artery bypass surgery…
A type of heart surgery sometimes called CABG (“cabbage”). The surgery reroutes, or “bypasses,” blood around clogged arteries to improve blood flow and oxygen to the heart.
Yep, that’s what I had done, (two of them), and that’s why I haven’t been blogging.
For someone like myself that is never sick, goes to the doctor for annual check ups and eats healthy, these past few weeks have been a shock. The good news is I’m doing great, have a bad case of cabin fever, and appreciate everyday more than I ever have in the past.
The microwave version of what happened is this:
- on Wednesday afternoon, March 4th, one minute I was fine the next I was having a heart attack
- a rescue unit took me to Mayo
- the Mayo heart team did surgery, two stints
- Thursday morning the stints failed, followed by double bypass surgery Thursday afternoon.
- recovery at Mayo until Tuesday afternoon March 10th
- recovery at home on-going
There are many God stories during this time that I won’t bore you with the details. If you want to hear about them, leave your questions as comments to this post.
Some of my “take aways” through all this:
- God is not done with me yet, because there were many moments where I was closer to staying with Him, than staying here
- There are people called to their medical profession and there are those who work a job
- I found out who a lot of my 2 a.m. friends are
- Family is huge
- I have an incredible wife, son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandkids and extended family who put their lives on pause to rally around and help me
- I don’t like the “girl side” of me
- You can live without the internet and a c-phone for long periods of time
- I really miss my coffee fix
- God is good all the time, all the time God is good
To those of you that have been praying for me, I ask you to continue to pray. I feel incredibly better everyday, but am forced to stay away from large crowds of people to avoid the possibility of getting sick. My house gets smaller everyday with my multiple walks in the park each day being great thearpy physically and emotionally.
I’ll be back on a regular blogging schedule, to help me re-connect with my friends and world.
Love you guys.
- Is Good the Enemy of Great?
- What is community?
I am glad your feeling better….Let me know if you need anything, it was good to see you Friday night!!!!